Make 2017 the year that you stick to your resolutions. We’ve all been guilty of not hitting the new year with the strongest start, but all of January is Learn to Ski + Ride Month! That means you still have plenty of time to add us to your resolution list and then stick to it!
If you’re new to riding or maybe just wanting to be ambimountainous ( ambē – mountənəs : adjective meaning able to shred the gnar on both skis and a snowboard) Ski and Ride month is a great time to get out and do it! Riding at Winter Park Resort is an experience that you should work into your 2017 plans, you know in between TV binges, of the next season of whatever the cool kids are watching these days.
Now that skiing or snowboarding is officially on your New Year Resolutions list (we know it’s not hard to convince you) let’s make sure you make it happen!
1. Gear Up – Winter is not everyone’s favorite thing. Not having the right gear can totally put a damper on your first experience. Just stick to a few basics and you’ll not only feel more comfortable, but you will look way cooler!
- Avoid Cotton – Cotton gets cold when it gets wet, so opt for synthetic materials
- Layers – You add a few, you take away a few. You’re new to the science of mountain layering, so just come prepared.
- Opt for the helmet – When you rent your gear for the day, include a helmet. It will help keep you warm and protect most of the important bits.
2. Hitch a Ride – There are a couple options to getting to the Resort. So make sure you pick the one that works for you. Coming to a lesson for the very first time can make some people nervous- so keep calm and ride on!
- Drive – Front Rangers (which sounds like a rebel cub scout troop name) you guys know the drill. If not, here’s your trip planner for your drive.
- Home James – Here’s a more relaxed route for those of you who just want to focus on riding.
- Winter Park Express – Weekend trips, out of towners, and those looking for a trip before their trip
3. Calm, Cool, Collected- Our instructors can help with this part, but just remember:
- Don’t Pizza when you need to French Fry
- You get out what you put in.
- You’re going to get addicted. Sorry. Just happens.
4. Bring a friend – Trying new stuff, even if it is as rad as riding down a mountain, can sometimes be intimidating. Easy solution- spread your resolution and get a friend on board! Bring a whole hoard of friends and join us January 6th for the World’s Larges Ski Lesson!
5. Book your Lesson – We recommend booking 7 days in advance! It is actually such a fabulous idea, that we will give you a discount! During January, book a Monday-Thursday Fast Tracks Lesson, and you’ll get 25% off. Way better than a discounted gym membership you’ll never use.
6. Laugh – You may get a chance to actually be grateful for the extra few pounds on your bum that help cushion you against the snow, or find out that you can add Gravity Tester to you official resume titles. Either way laugh. And if you can’t laugh at yourself think about this gif and laugh.
7. Reward yourself – Most New Year’s Resolutions are just a reward in themselves, and trying skiing or boarding is not any exception. But, we think trying anything new deserves a reward! Get that whipped cream on your hot chocolate, enjoy Apres after your lesson, or take a trip to Alpenglow to relax. There’s no harm in a little more indulgence after a day on the mountain. You earned it.